Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name

By Sgt. Jim Unland #2666

When I say, “vegetable peeler,” what do you see in your mind’s eye? I’ll wait a moment while you get the image. OK, do you see what I see — a curved kitchen implement a few inches in length used for peeling carrots and potatoes? How about if I were to ask you what you picture when I say, “machete,” “sword,” or “dagger”? Each of these words has a distinct connotation and brings to mind a different image. When the average person communicates, he or she attempts to use precisely the words needed to convey a particular (and accurate) meaning to the intended recipient. Apparently, our local newspaper writers are more interested in conveying scandal than accurate meaning.

Several years ago when a San Jose police officer was confronted by a volatile woman holding a “bladed weapon,” he ordered her to put it down. When she refused, advanced on him and raised it over her head, the officer, fearing for his life, fired his pistol at her to protect the lives of those around him as well as himself. This “bladed weapon” was approximately 10 inches in length and resembled a meat cleaver. Reporters for the local newspaper continue to refer to this bladed weapon as a “vegetable peeler,” which the officer “mistook” as a cleaver. In fact, they did it again in Sunday’s edition, six years after the incident occurred. In reality, what they call a “vegetable peeler” is a cleaver-like implement with a peeler apparatus built into the blade area. To clear up any confusion, I’m including a picture of it here.

There is a very simple point on this matter which I believe has been overlooked all these years: it doesn’t matter what we call this thing. When Bich Cau Thi Tran made the fatal decision to ignore the officer’s demands, when she decided to advance on the officer with the item in question raised above her head in a menacing and threatening manner, it was no longer a kitchen utensil of any kind — it was an instrument of death. It became the sort of deadly weapon that could prevent that officer from ever seeing his loved ones again.

I was the supervisor on the scene that night. I realize I’m probably not the most objective person when it comes to this issue. But let me tell you something: to do our jobs effectively, we rely on people obeying lawful orders. If they don’t, people can die, and no one wants that outcome. If a police officer is confronted by a person holding a bladed tool and orders that person to drop it, they should drop it. That’s what any law-abiding citizen would do because they understand the consequences at stake.

Here’s a question that no one has ever bothered to ask: Why did Tran ignore the officer’s commands and go to a drawer in her kitchen to grab this bladed instrument when the police came to her house on a child endangerment call for service? Why this particular device? What was her intent? What sort of message could she have been trying to convey to the officers? I don’t know about you, but “compliance” and “cooperation” certainly aren’t what I’m thinking. There is no other logical conclusion that can be drawn other than her obvious intent to cause or threaten to cause physical harm to the responding officers.

I’m not sure why reporters for the local paper want their readers to have an image of a harmless kitchen utensil when it comes to this tragic event. Instead of the phrasing “an Asian vegetable peeler that the officer mistook as a cleaver” how about, “an Asian vegetable peeler that looks like a double bladed meat cleaver?” If I were cynical, I might think they were trying to disparage the police department or worse, suggest the most vile use of unnecessary force.

I’m not saying that San Jose police officers are perfect and never make mistakes. But I know this for a fact: not one of the men and women I’ve worked with for the past 21 years desires to take a human life. We got into this profession to protect life. And for the local paper to suggest, imply, or infer otherwise is the only miscarriage of justice to have occurred in this whole tragic episode.

Sgt. Jim Unland is a 21-year veteran of the SJPD and a member of the Board of Directors of the San Jose Police Officers’ Association.

10 comments:

  1. Sgt. Unland,
    Thank you! It is about time that we get the other side of the story. I am interested in knowing what happened to this Officer and his family after the press and community leaders/groups waged their hateful campaign against him and the PD. He and his family must have suffered a great deal of pain thanks to these folks. I know this Officer was cleared of wrongdoing, but as you know very well, it wasn’t as big a splash in the news as the accusations of wrongdoing were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sgt.,
    If that is a potato peeler I’ll eat my hat. The Merc News is dying so they have to make up things and sensationalize others. How are the officer that was involved in the shooting and his family doing? I’ll bet after the way he was treated he left the force. Didn’t Madison Nguyen win the council election after leading the lynch mob after this officer? I seem to remember her at a community meeting at City College demanding justice for this unfortunate death.
    She's bad news. She screwed the Vietnamese community and the cops too. I hope she loses next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It didn't help that an apology to the Vietnamese community was made by the police department on Vietnamese radio stations after the shooting. The poor officer involved in this was made a scapegoat by almost everyone, and the Mercury is a disgraceful excuse of a newspaper. The officer did the absolute right thing and went home to his family unhurt after he was attacked by a very deadly weapon. End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it's been more than five years since the incident date, I'm glad Sgt. Unland is at least attempting to show the real truth of what was really used, not what the Merc News wrote and showed.

    I am an Asian immigrant living in San Jose and I was so embarrassed the Asian community (Vietnamese) blamed the Officer for the death of the woman. She decided to pick up the deadly weapong (YES Deadly Weapon, Not potatoe peeler).

    Lets just say the Officer hesistated and didn't shoot the woman...Lets say she was able to slice the officer in the throat or his partner or her children...Then the Merc News front page would print, "San Jose Police Officer fails to take action, leads to death..."

    Hmmm...The way I see it, Police Officers have a job they swore to do, which is to protect and serve our community. They have a job like no other and in cases such as this, it's a lose lose situation. There is no time to say "time out" and hesitate. He was forced to make that decision and no Officer I know would enjoy taking any life.

    Oh by the way, Yes I do recall very vividly Madison Nguyen leading the charge during this tragic incident with a mega phone yelling, "San Jose Police, Stop killing innocent Asian woman..." She got elected by blaming the police and using the Officer to get elected...And now she is our city leader!?! Hmmm...Last I checked, I heard she needs the support from Police, how ironic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sgt. Unland, I think you should forward this to the Mercury News and ask they print it. The citizens of San Jose needs to learn the truth. I doubt that the Mercury News would print it since they only print false information and lie just to sell their papers.

    If the Mercury News is calling that a potato peeler, than I guess their staff peels potatoes the size and hardness of coconuts.

    Bravo Sgt. Unland and thank you for showing us what was actually used. I do have to add that the Police department issuing an apology to the Vietnamese community during this incident was not necessary and an embarrassment!

    I would feel betrayed if I was the Officer involved. Why apologize for what he was trained to do and potentially saved the life of his partner, the children on scene and himself. Police Officer carry guns for situations like this one, not to look cool in uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all the ways Nguyen has hurt the Police Department, I hope the POA and any other public safety union refuse to endorse, fund, or support Madison Nguyen in the next election. Pretty bad when your own community hates you.
    I noticed she didn't bother to show up to the vigil to honor victim's of violent crimes, and the police earlier this year either. Some piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a disgrace that the Mercury News mislead and inflamed the public about this “vegetable peeler” story, it makes people wonder what other Mercury stories are misleading.

    Where is the Sunshine, openness, transparency and ethical responsibility that the Mercury talks about? It seems they don't practice what they preach.

    Is there a group that you can report the Mercury to for telling the public a false and inflammatory story that could have resulted in Police Officers or people being hurt or killed by angry people who believed the false and inflammatory reporting?

    What is the ethical and legal difference between what the Mercury did to inflame people and "yelling 'Fire!' in a crowded theater," other than the Mercury will not be fined or punished?

    If anyone had any doubts that San Jose needed a blog that tells the truth about what is going on, then today’s blog should convince you, since apparently we can not trust the Mercury to tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spent one year working with the officer who shot the victim. I was unaware of who he was during this time. On his last day working with me I initiated a conversation wherein I learned about this incident. Shocked would not even begin to describe my reaction. He was one of the most respectful officers I have ever worked with and after delving into this incident I realized what hell he had been put through. I also made the decision in my mind that if I ever needed an officer to come to my aid in similar situations, I would call for this officer as he was able to take a clear and decisive action.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well,well,well! The Mercury news caught in a lie. Photographic evidence to boot! It can't be. How can a profession whose claim is to hold others (government, businesses, citizens,etc...)accountable for accuracy, honesty, integrity, and credibility be caught in a bold face lie while attempting to create public unrest? Say it ain't so.

    Let me do to the Mercury news and most of the media, what they do to other individuals, groups, organizations and businesses. I am going to use a broad brush in my attempt to show how most American view those who work in that field. We rather our daughter's be prostitutes and our son's sell crack cocaine before becoming a member of the media.

    Way to go Mercury news. Sgt. Unland just exposed you for what you are, unaccountable liars.......

    SeeingRed

    ReplyDelete
  10. No endorcement for Madison Nguyen is right. She is a sell out....

    ReplyDelete