Wednesday, July 8, 2009

You Are Not Alone!

By Kathleen Flynn

A rape prevention class saved my fiancé’s life and mine when we were victims of road rage that could’ve ended in a stabbing.

We were driving home one night after a late night meeting. We were stopped at a stop sign. An SUV sped up behind us and passed too close, almost hitting us. My fiancé honked his horn — a natural reaction — and I watched in horror as the driver spun around and started chasing after us. Of course this would be the one time we didn’t have our cell phone with us so we were pretty much on our own until we could get to a phone.

Even in my terror, I began to remember what I was taught in the rape prevention class I took. They said to try to remain calm in a crisis, never drive home if you are being followed and whenever possible, drive to the nearest police station, or brightly lit busy convenience store. I told my fiancé to pull down a side street, and not into our driveway, and to get on the main street as soon as possible. The SUV caught up and cut us off, boxing us in behind a parked car. The driver got out, stood in front of my car, and started threatening to kill us.

He didn’t look like the creeps you see in the movies, quit the contrary. I was deeply struck by the fact that the man standing before us was an attractive, blonde haired, blue eyed, young man in his late 20s early 30s. He didn’t have any tattoos, was nicely dressed, and spoke in a soft voice. The only thing that gave me cause for alarm besides the fact that he had chased us down, and was threatening to kill us was the crazy look in his eyes.

My fiancé got so angry he started to roll down the window to yell at the guy. Another thing we were told never to do, so I begged him not to, and to lean on the horn non-stop instead, in the hopes that someone would call 9-1-1. It was rather frightening to see that people looked out their windows but that no one came out, or called the Police. Something that the instructor told us would likely happen in these kinds of situations.

Undaunted by the horn, the driver proceeded to the passenger window while pulling out a knife. This move cleared a way for us to escape. I got the man’s license plate number as we were backing out, and we drove to a well-lit gas station and called 9-1-1.

The police came immediately, took down our information, but never caught the guy, as far as we know. The officer told us we did the right thing by taking the actions we did, and gave us instructions on what to do to get home safely. He assured us that the guy was probably high on something, was long gone, and most likely wouldn’t even remember doing this in the morning.

I barely slept a wink for days. I kept seeing the terrifying scene every time I closed my eyes. I was frightened to go outside because this took place right next to my home. I was sure he was outside watching, laughing, and waiting to “kill us.”

After three days of hiding and canceling appointments, I reflected on my work with victims of violent crimes. In almost every case, the crimes they experienced were random, not intentional. When victims realized that they were not targeted but rather victims of random crimes, they were able to find a bit of peace.

The phrase “random acts of violence” kept running through my head. Then I got angry. The reality was that I didn’t know this guy, and he didn’t know me. He was just a bully high on something who randomly chased us down the street. That anger turned into empowerment. I was taking my power, and my love of life back! I wasn’t going to stay a prisoner of fear any more; I was going to get on with my life just like he had.

I decided to share this story because all of us have the same emotional reactions to being victimized. Whether you have experienced a crime as simple as vandalism or as devastating as rape, you are going to feel outrage, fear, and a sense of helplessness. It is nothing to be ashamed of; it is a natural response to having our sense of security and safety violated.

Also, when we don’t report crimes we are enabling thugs like this to hurt someone else. Two of the most important things to do when you’ve been victimized by a crime are report it to the police, and talk about it with someone you trust. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at the support you’ll receive and how many stories similar to yours you will hear. And if you’re like my fiancé and want to confront the guy, please DON’T! There’s no reason to lose your life over something like this.

I also want people who are here illegally to know that if someone violates you or commits a crime against you or a family member, please report it to the Police. They will not report you to ICE, nor will you be deported. Too many undocumented immigrants are victimized and don’t report it to the authorities. Whether you are a legal or illegal citizen, no one has the right to harm you or your property and get a way with it.

I’d like to invite readers to share their stories. Tell us how you coped with or are coping with being a victim of a crime. Please add any resources you have used or know of that would help others.

Kathleen Flynn is a professional mediator and community activist.

7 comments:

  1. Kathleen,
    Another good article with some great advice. I've read and heard that you're aren't supposed to honk at someone because it can cause situations like this but what the hell else you supposed to do when they almost hit you? I don’t know about people these days. This guy sounds like a jerk who was drunk or something. One of these days he’s going to pick on the wrong person and wished he hadn’t.

    Glad you and your fiancé came out of this okay. Hope the cops find this guy and get him off the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen -
    Great article. I am glad you wrote about this. My guess is that this is how most victims of crime feel, and whether we admit it or not, it is good to feel that we, as victims, are not the only ones to go through this, or to feel the way we do.

    Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been robbed, had my car broken into and my purse stolen. It does make you feel violated. Thanks for your article it sure does capture how I feel. It makes you not trust people any more too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What happens if you report the crime to the police and you don't feel better? What happens if you say that to the police? What if you say it the DA? what if the DA says we prosecute crimes based on the police reports we recieve so go back to the police dept. because everything you are saying that you have reported to the detective isn't in the report? so you go back to ask the detective who treated you like a criminal and not a victim to forward on the information to the Da but his Sgt. calls you to say that won't be happening and if you are having a problem call 311? I assume she said 311 because none of the other incidents that I called 911 for resulted in anything but me continuing to be victimized not only by the perp but now the police who are understaffed I understand but not really savvy on making observations, at least in this case. So you go back and tell the DA what happened and finally when you get to the moment of sentencing even though you showed up twice before to have it delayed the judge sentences the guy whos been destroying your life for months on end and your ten minutes late to find out they proceeded with out you? Afterall, I had a victim statement and wished to be heard, but that would never come to pass. One way or another even if I have to go to the jail to see that d" bag I will say to him what I have waited so very long to say. What if however, as a result of months of civil court harassment by the offender and his family you end up homeless? What if after they break into your home, vandalize your property, steal your property, shut off your utilites, change your locks and lock you out of your house with your kids, nothing happens? what if you don't have money to file a civil suit when it seems darn plain that a criminal case or two are in order? what if they order restition for a theif who steals childrens toys but he never pays? Why I wonder isn't the real estate agent friend of the perp not responsible for compensating me when she listed him on her letter head as doing repairs after she broke into our house and changed the locks? what if she and the perps brother in law take you through 7 months of unlawful - unlawful detainers, with documents they stole from your house and altered? Why is that not a crime? I read that I have Marcys Rights but when I mentioned it everyone looked at me like I was nuts? What if you went to IA to be run off by IA because the officer you are complaining about now works in IA and trys to run you off by saying he didn't have his tape recorder on for the last forty five minutes while you were talking? Well I dont know what to do but cry most of the time. When I'm not crying I am filled with hate or rage at the people who did these things and the police who let them. Why is the central question? I always say I really don't care because there is not an excuse that would suffice the time and letters and questions the pain and the suffering and degragation and humiliation of what happened to my son and to myself for reporting it. No one has said they are sorry, better yet I never even read the report until it was in the court clerks office where I had to ask her to cross out the names of my minor children and my self as we have done nothing wrong. What do you do then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone's Putting Lipstick On A Pig Again,
    First let me say, I’m sorry you went through this. While I am not an attorney, I have worked in Housing Law. Your story is not at all uncommon. Many citizens go to the Police for assistance on civil matters and get upset when the Police cannot assist them. They also have difficulty getting legal assistance when they are engaged in a battle with a landlord. I also know of cases where landlords or their agents unlawfully enter rentals, and do harass tenants to get them out. Something that is very difficult to prove!

    Having said that, to properly assist you I need to ask you to answer a few questions so that I can look into how to help you with this.

    Could you please give me a brief, but detailed summary of your situation?
    Like, were you living in a rental that was foreclosed on, or did you fall behind in the rent and get served with an Unlawful Detainer? Why were you evicted? Please be brief but specific.

    Did you contact Legal Aid's Housing Department for assistance? Are you working, or on Aid? What is your annual income? (Most programs have income cut offs.)

    What nationality are you? (Different agencies specialize in assisting certain ethnic citizens.)
    Are you are senior?

    You mention going to court and having your rights violated. Who was convicted or prosecuted for victimizing you, and on what charges? How long ago? Recently or over a year ago?

    How did the Police fail to assist you? What type of help from the Police were you asking for?

    If you’d like some help with this please post your answers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We want to point out that you can send the POA any sensitive questions, comments or concerns through the contact form on our website:

    www.ProtectSanJose.com

    Just go to the top of this blog and click the link to take you back to our site. Once you're there, click on the Contact button at the top of the home page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who ever the current women standing in as the IPA or the IPA is actually very nice, but more importantly, she was a good listener who did what she said she would do. I appreciate that, and if I have to go see her again, which apparently is becoming a must and not a want then I guess I could do that, poor lady. Thanks

    ReplyDelete